Hokkaido Backcountry Powder Quest
Welcome to the planet’s greatest snow machine, Hokkaido, where a confluence of climatic conditions produces prodigious, almost daily, powder dumps that are legend in the ski world. The Hokkaido Backcountry Powder Quest will take you deep into this magical powder wonderland, and also allow you to fully experience northern Japan’s rich culture and cuisine.
The trip is based out of two strategic destinations, the historical port town Otaru, and the agriculture-based region and town of Furano, located in the center of the island. Our locations give access to up to 8 ski areas, combining classic powder laps at Hokkaido’s ski resorts, sidecountry as well as remote backcountry touring lead by PowderQuest’s ACMG/AAMG guides. Each day’s itinerary is flexible so that we may opt for the best destination in the area based on snow conditions. After all, we are here for the island’s legendary powder!
The Hokkaido Backcountry Powder Quest starts with 3 full days of guided adventure near Otaru for a taste of the west coast mountain terrain and deep powder near Sapporo. We’ll ski and ride the trees before touring out of the resorts of Teine and Sapporo Kokusai to reach pristine powder bowls. After long days of adventure we’ll refuel every evening with exquisite Japanese cuisine, locally crafted beers and sake at our guide’s favorite local restaurants, all included in the price of the trip.
Our journey will carry on from Otaru to Furano with a stop at another select destination for more “Japow.” Once in Furano, we’ll check in for the next 4 nights, and spend the following days powder chasing with an open itinerary around the resorts and backcountry areas of Furano, Tomamu, Kamui, Sahorro, Asahidake, and more.
Airport: New Chitose Airport (CTS)
Meet-up Location: Otaru
Meet-up Time: 6:00pm
Trip ends at our Furano hotel after breakfast on day 8.
- Fly into Chitose airport (CTS)
- Train to Otaru. Check in downtown hotel.
- Group meet-and-greet
- Welcome dinner
- Group breakfast at the hotel
- Drive to resort based on best conditions
- Find the best snow on the mountain: off piste, sidecountry and backcountry
- Return to Otaru hotel
- Wander the town's culturally rich streets and famous canal
- Group dinners in town hosted by your guides
- Group breakfast
- More backcountry and off-piste exploring with destination based around best conditions
- Drive through bustling Sapporo and beautiful central Hokkaido
- Arrive in Furano
- Check-in to hotel
- Group dinner in select Furano restaurant
- Group breakfast
- 3 full days of backcountry and off-piste exploring based around best conditions in Furano, Tomamu, Kamui, Ashahidake and more off-grid powder destinations.
- Soak in muscle soothing onsens
- Group dinners, hosted by your guides in select Furano restaurants
- After breakfast at the hotel it's Sayonara (farewell) to the guides and new friends
- Please schedule return flights out of Chitose after 12:00pm (for domestic) or 1:00pm (international)
- For departure flights before noon we can help pre-reserve a private service shuttle back to Chitose
Is This Trip For Me?
This Hokkaido off-piste and backcountry tour is designed for advanced skiers and snowboarders who are willing and able to earn their turns, even if you’ve never backcountry toured before. You will want to be in good physical shape and keen on adventure. Expect deep dry snow, tight trees and uphill skinning to access the best terrain once we depart the ski resort lifts and boundaries. With the exception of Furano resort, minutes from our hotel, this trip does involve daily drives of 40-60 minutes to the ski areas, destination depending.
Make sure our Backcountry tours are for you via the Trip Finder Quiz
- 2 full-time, certified, PowderQuest guides (English and Japanese speaking)
- private 4x4 van
- lift tickets
- comfortable lodging with private bath. (Rooms in Japan are often smaller compared to North American lodging.)
- daily breakfast
- all dinners, hosted by your guides at select restaurants in Otaru and Furano
- beer and sake at dinner
- travel protection insurance
- arrival and departure to Otaru/from Furano. Contact us if you need assistance.
Within walking distance to sites of interest such as the city’s famous Otaru Canal and the Otaru City Art Museum. The Authent Hotel is a 3.5 star hotel and all rooms come with a private bathroom with a deep soaking tub, and there is a sauna and onsen, with varying styles of massages available.
We hand-picked comfortable, 3.5-4-star Furano Hotels. All hotels feature similar décor and amenities; comfortable bedding, private bathrooms, Japanese onsen bath, and social areas to relax and get to know your group. Rooms are shared, twin-bed set-ups. Larger double beds for couples or single room upgrades are available.
Book Trip Now
Expert guided. Almost all inclusive. Deep Hokkaido powder awaits. Reserve a spot today.
Pricing Details at a Glance: (in USD)
- $3699 per person, based on twin or double share occupancy, private bath
- Solo Travelers: Will be paired with another same gender guest in a twin share room
- Privacy Please: Ask about our limited number of single rooms available for a $TBD upgrade
- Payment: A $600 deposit is required at time of reservation. Final payments 70 days before trip departure