Hokkaido Backcountry Skiing + Splitboarding Tour – Japan
Hokkaido, Japan is home to the planet’s greatest snow machine, where a confluence of climatic conditions produces prodigious, almost daily, powder dumps that are legend in the backcountry skiing world. Welcome to PowderQuest’s guided Hokkaido backcountry skiing and splitboarding tour. Our best Hokkaido ski tour for advanced to expert powder hounds takes you deep into this magical powder wonderland, and also allows you to fully experience northern Japan’s rich culture. This backcountry focused ski trip is based out of two strategic destinations; the historical seaport town Otaru, and the city of Furano, located in the center of the island. Otaru and Furano give access to 8 Hokkaido ski resorts, where we combine classic off-piste powder laps with backcountry touring and splitboarding lead by PowderQuest’s ACMG/AAMG guides. Each day’s itinerary is flexible so that we may opt for the best destination in the area based on overnight snow conditions. After all, we are here for the legendary Hokkaido powder!
- 2 Japanese and English speaking PowderQuest guides lead you to the deepest turns and introduce you to Hokkaido’s local culture while hosting dinners each evening
- 3 full days of guided adventure near Otaru for a taste of the west coast mountain terrain and deep backcountry powder near Sapporo- ski and snowboard the trees before touring out of the resorts of Teine and Sapporo Kokusai to reach pristine backcountry powder bowls
- 4 days powder chasing with an open itinerary around the ski resort secret spots and backcountry of Furano, Tomamu, Kamui, Sahoro, and Asahidake
- Relax at our comfortable hotels enjoying the soothing hot spring baths known as ‘onsens’
- Refuel each evening with exquisite Japanese cuisine, locally crafted beers and sake at our ski guide’s favorite local restaurants
- Extend your trip in Japan with assistance from our local travel agency
- Fly into Hokkaido's Chitose airport (CTS)
- Check into the Authent Hotel in Otaru, accessed via the airport train to Otaru
- 6:00pm group meet-and-greet
- Welcome dinner
- Group breakfast at the hotel
- Drive to resort based on best conditions
- Find the best snow on the mountain: off piste, sidecountry and backcountry
- Return to Otaru
- Wander the town's culturally rich streets and famous canal
- Group dinners in town hosted by your guides
- Group breakfast
- More backcountry and off-piste exploring with destination based around best conditions
- Drive through bustling Sapporo and beautiful central Hokkaido
- Arrive in Furano
- Check-in to hotel
- Group dinner in select Furano restaurant
- Group breakfast
- 3 full days of backcountry and off-piste exploring based around best conditions in Furano, Tomamu, Kamui, Ashahidake and more off-grid powder destinations
- Soak in muscle soothing onsens
- Group dinners, hosted by your guides in select Furano restaurants
- After breakfast at the hotel it's Sayonara (farewell) to the guides and new friends
- Head back to the airport or extend your stay in Japan with help from our local agency
Is This Trip For Me?
This off-piste and backcountry tour in Hokkaido is designed for advanced to expert skiers and snowboarders who are willing and able to earn their turns, even if you’ve never backcountry toured before. You will want to be in good physical shape and keen on adventure. Expect deep dry snow, tight trees and uphill skinning to access the best backcountry terrain once we depart the ski resort lifts and boundaries. With the exception of Furano ski resort, minutes from our hotel, this trip does involve daily drives of 40-60 minutes to different ski areas, destination depending.
Make sure our Backcountry tours are for you via the Trip Finder Quiz
- 2 full-time, certified, PowderQuest backcountry guides (English and Japanese speaking)
- private 4x4 van
- lift tickets
- comfortable lodging with private bath. (Rooms in Japan are often smaller compared to North American lodging.)
- daily breakfast
- all dinners, hosted by your guides at select restaurants in Otaru and Furano
- beer and sake at dinner
- travel protection insurance
- arrival and departure to Otaru/from Furano. Contact us if you need assistance. For the best selection of ground transfer options back to the airport, please schedule return flights out of Saporro Chitose airport after 12:00pm (for domestic) or 1:00pm (international). If you need to depart earlier just let us know and we can help you arrange an earlier taxi from our hotel.
View or download the packing list
- Option 1: We can pre-book transportation for you. Contact us to get started.
- Option 2: Book directly online. Updated details will be published here shortly.
Within walking distance to sites of interest such as the city’s famous Otaru Canal and the Otaru City Art Museum. The Authent Hotel is a 3.5 star hotel and all rooms come with a private bathroom with a deep soaking tub, and there is a sauna and onsen, with varying styles of massages available.
We hand-picked comfortable, 4-star Furano Hotels. All hotels feature similar décor and amenities; comfortable bedding, private bathrooms, Japanese onsen bath, and social areas to relax and get to know your group. Rooms are shared, twin-bed set-ups. Larger double beds for couples or single room upgrades are available.
Book Trip Now
Expert guided. Almost all inclusive. Deep Hokkaido powder awaits. Reserve a spot today.
Pricing Details at a Glance: (in USD)
- $3799 per person, based on twin or double share occupancy, private bath
- Solo Travelers: Will be paired with another same gender guest in a twin share room
- Privacy Please: Ask about our limited number of single rooms available for a $695 upgrade
- Payment: A $600 deposit is required at time of reservation. Final payments 90 days before trip departure