Hakuba Backcountry Powder Tour
Backcountry skiing in Hakuba should be on every serious riders check list. Welcome to the ultimate guided Hakuba backcountry tours for advanced to expert skiers and snowboarders. The stunning Japanese Alps and the Hakuba Valley is your base for 8 nights and home to some of the best ski and snowboard terrain in all of Japan.
Our fully hosted, small group guided ski adventure blends lift accessed off-piste freeriding, outstanding tree skiing, and backcountry ski touring – splitboarding led by our Association of Canadian Mountain Guide and Japanese-speaking tail guide.
Hakuba seeped into skiers’ consciousness following the town’s hosting of the 1998 Olympics, but now it is considered one of the world’s greatest ski destinations, receiving an abundance of more than 35 feet of snowfall annually and with access to a staggering 11 ski resorts.
The Hakuba Valley is also known for mind-blowing backcountry, incredible tree skiing, and as home to Japan’s steepest terrain. PowderQuest ski guides get you to the goods with our fully flexible, powder-chasing backcountry adventure that allows for us to choose our destination daily based on the best snow conditions. The trip is balanced out with soul-satisfying, off-slope activities following our day in the mountains.
We will be based out of a comfortable hotel that puts us within walking distance to explore the Hakuba village, dine on traditional cuisine every evening, take a soak in a local volcanic hot spring, and enjoy the region’s sake and beer.
Airport: Fly into either Narita (NRT) or Haneda (HND) Tokyo Airports
Meet-up Time and Location: 6:00pm Hakuba Yamano Hotel
Trip ends at our Hakuba hotel after breakfast on day 9.
Return to airport, Tokyo or extend your stay in beautiful Japan with help from our local agent.
- Group and guides meet-and-greet
- Hosted welcome dinner
- Daily group breakfast
- 7 days of off-piste and Hakuba backcountry tours based around best conditions in Hakuba and more secret Japanese Alps gems. Including but not limited to: Goryu, Hakuba47, Happo-one, Iwatake, Tsugaike Kogen, Norikura, and Cortina.
- Relax in muscle soothing onsens
- Hosted group dinners in our favorite select Hakuba Valley restaurants
- After breakfast at the hotel it's Sayonara (farewell) to the guides and new friends
Is This Trip For Me?
Advanced snowboarders and skiers keen on the steeper terrain of Hakuba accessed via a combo of ski lifts and backcountry touring will love this trip. the Hakuba Backcountry Tours are geared toward adventurers who are willing and able to earn their turns. Expect deep powder snow, steep tree runs, alpine spines and bowls and uphill skinning to access the goods when we leave the resorts. Make sure our Backcountry tours are for you via the Trip Finder Quiz
- 2 full-time, certified, PowderQuest guides
- lift tickets
- private 4x4 van
- comfortable hotel, private bath (Note: hotel rooms in Japan are generally smaller in comparison to North American lodging.)
- daily breakfast
- all dinners, hosted by your guides at select Hakuba restaurants
- beer and sake at dinner
- travel insurance
- arrival and departure to/from Hakuba. See Logistics tab for instructions.
- Option 1: We can pre-book transportation for you. Contact us to get started.
- Option 2: Book directly online. Updated 2021 details will be published here shortly.
After a stellar day of backcountry skiing in Hakuba return home to our comfortable onsen hotel with western style bedding, private bathrooms. Hearty breakfasts, WIFI, muscle soothing hot spring spa, free afternoon coffee/tea and a friendly family owned atmosphere. Rooms typically come with twin beds, but double beds for couples or private single rooms can be arranged when available.
Book Trip Now
Nearly all inclusive. Expert guides. Legendary terrain of Hakuba backcountry. Reserve a spot today.
Pricing Details at a Glance: (in USD)
- $4399 per person, based on twin or double share occupancy, private bath
- Solo Travelers: Will be paired with another same gender guest in a twin share room
- Privacy Please: Ask about our limited number of single rooms available for a $795 upgrade
- Payment: A $600 deposit is required at time of reservation. Final payments 70 days before trip departure