9 Days / From $3,999 / Call: 1-888-565-7158
Group size: 8 maximum. Solo travelers welcome!
2019 Hakuba Ski Tour Dates:
January 25-February 2
Reserve This Trip
Welcome to the stunning Japanese Alps and the Hakuba Valley, your base for the next 9 days and home to some of the best ski and snowboard terrain in all of Japan. Our fully hosted Hakuba ski tour guided adventure blends lift accessed off-piste freeriding, legendary tree skiing, plus backcountry ski touring lead by our Association of Canadian Mountain Guide and his assistant Japanese speaking tail guide.
With a season average of 35 feet of snow, there are plenty of options to get us to the famous deep powder of the Hakuba Valley on this fully flexible powder chasing backcountry adventure. There is no set daily schedule. We focus is getting you to the best snow in and out of bounds, based on snow conditions at the nearby 11 Hakuba ski resorts and backcountry.
Finally, top it all off with muscle rejuvenating volcanic hot springs, Japanese culture, and outstanding dinners, accompanied with your choice of beer or sake.
Day 1: Arrive to Hakuba in the afternoon via our shuttle from the Tokyo airports (Haneda or Narita), hotel check-in, welcome/trip intro, dinner with your guides. We will be based in Hakuba for the next 8 nights.
Day 2-8: 7 days of lift assisted powder adventures and ski touring chasing the best snow in the valley, home to numerous outstanding ski resorts and endless backcountry. Hosted dinners each evening with your guides.
Day 9: Departure day. Your Hakuba ski tour comes to an end. Return shuttle to Tokyo’s airports.
- 8 guests maximum per trip.
- 2 certified guides on every trip. Lead ski guide is certified by the Association of Canadian Mountain Guides (ACMG).
- All trip logistics are handled once you arrive to Hakuba.
- Local Japanese culture and stunning vistas of the Japanese Alps.
- Ski and snowboard the best Hakuba based ski resorts, off-piste, and backcountry touring terrain with professional guides that know where to go.
- Soak in soothing onsens, an important part of the Japanese culture.
- Fantastic dinners with beer, sake, or red wine in our favorite local restaurants.
Enjoy your Hakuba ski tour with a buffet of all you eat powder, adventure and brilliant culture. We take care of the rest!
- Certified ski guides with full time hosting
- Avalanche safety introduction/refresher
- Off piste and Backcountry guiding
- Lift tickets
- Comfortable 4 star lodging, private bath
- Delicious breakfasts and dinners
- Choice of beer, sake at dinner
- Private transportation in our 4×4 van
- Round trip chartered shuttle Airport-Hakuba Hotel-Airport
You are responsible for your inbound and outbound flights (our agents can assist you), required travel insurance and lunches.
We have rental equipment available for anything you need below. Please let us know well in advance.
- Backcountry touring skis or splitboard.
- Touring skins
- Backpack (24-36 liter) with external harness straps for carrying skis or board and helmet while hiking.
- Digital avalanche transceiver
- Avalanche snow shovel
- Avalanche probe
- Collapsible trekking poles for splitboarders
Booking This Trip
or call 1-888-565-7158 or contact us via email to book with our office staff.
Starting at $3,999 per person, based on twin share occupancy. Single travelers will be placed with a roommate or you may request a single room upgrade, $895..
Payment: A 30% deposit is required at time of reservation. Final payments are due by November 15th. We accept most major credit cards, PayPal, and bank wires.
- Single travelers as well as small groups of 2 or more guests are welcome!
- If we have less than 5 guests sign up, the trip will have one guide. We require a minimum of 4 total guest to operate the trip.
- When booking your trip you need to agree to our Terms and Conditions detailing our cancellation policy.
- After receiving your deposit you will be directed to an online link to sign our Trip Release Waiver. View waiver.
Arriving and Departing- Airport Details
Included in your tour price is a round trip direct shuttle from either Tokyo airport to our hotel in Hakuba. Book your flights to either of Tokyo’s 2 main airports; Haneda or Narita. If there is little price difference, select Haneda as the shuttle time to our Hakuba hotel is shorter.
If you plan on arriving to Tokyo on Day 1 of the tour, please arrive in the morning, no later than 11:00 AM for an ideal shuttle to our Hakuba hotel. There are later shuttle departures, but you may miss our important group welcome meet up and dinner. We suggest arriving the day before and staying at a hotel in Tokyo or near the airport. This helps you break up the trip, get some extra rest and the next day you can catch our provided shuttle to Hakuba from the airport. Booking.com is the easiest way to book a room for the night.
If you plan on visiting Tokyo before arriving to Hakuba, you can send some of your luggage direct to our hotel using the Takkyubin luggage delivery service seen as you exit customs.
On the last day of the tour, the shuttle will get you to the airport in time for any international flights but to avoid having to leave Hakuba too early, we suggest a flight home in the afternoon when possible.
Meeting the guides and group on Day 1
The tour begins meeting the guides the evening of Day 1 at our hotel in Hakuba, where we will have our welcome chat and dinner. Details on meeting place and time will be sent to you before the tour.
Travel Visas and Passports
Visas are not required for USA, Canada, UK, EU, NZ, or Australian passport holders entering Japan for less than 90 days for tourism. If you are not on a passport from one of these countries please be sure to check if a visa is required.
Required Travel Insurance
Personal travel insurance that includes emergency evacuation coverage for off-piste and backcountry skiing and snowboarding is mandatory to travel with PowderQuest. Click for details
- Alpine Touring ski set up (We suggest a waist width between 110-120mm)
- Alpine touring bindings
- Climbing skins (Adhesive glue type)
- Ski poles
- Splitboard with climbing skins
- Extra binding screws and straps are a good idea
- Collapsible trekking poles. Black Diamond poles are highly suggested.
- Digital avalanche transceiver, shovel and probe (Rentals available)
- Boots (good idea to carry on plane if you can)
- 28-35 liter backpack with suitable external harness straps for carrying your skis or snowboard. Please test before the trip as this is essential!
- Water bottle to fit in your backpack (we prefer BPA Free aluminum or stainless steel water bottles as hydration bladder style systems tend to freeze)
- Portable tool kit for loose binding parts
- Padded ski or board bag. (Da Kine makes good ones that leave enough room for the rest of your gear)
- Polypropylene or Merino wool long underwear and wool blend socks
- Smartwool, prima-loft jacket or vest
- Down or synthetic puffy jacket
- Warm hat (Beanie or Toque)
- Neck gaiter and face mask
- Wind/waterproof shell with hood (Goretex is recommended)
- Pants or bibs (Goretex is recommended)
- Cold weather gloves or mitts (Da Kine)
- Thinner windblocker type glove for hiking and touring
- Sunglasses and ski goggles including a low light lens (Smith is our favorite). Do yourself a favor and upgrade your goggles NOW if they are highly scratched or are a lower quality goggle.
- Sun block (35 SPF or higher) and lip balm
Personal first aid kit to include at least the following:
- ibuprofin or similar for headaches, aches, etc
- Moleskin and band-aids
- Light weight toilet articles
- Prescription medicine
- Personal items for women
- Large plastic garbage bag for wet clothes
- Ear plugs for light sleepers
AND OF COURSE…
- Airline tickets
- Credit card, ATM card, and credit card cancellation phone number
- Starting cash in YEN
- Small travel clock alarm for those early powder days!
- Portable music and headphones
- Converter and plug adapters
- Energy bars
- Simple house slippers for the hotel
Comfortable, 4 star hotel in the Hakuba Valley. Each room has cozy bedding with private bathrooms. Rooms are twin shared, but we do have a few options for double beds for couples or those requesting a single room upgrade. The hotel has a beautiful Japanese style onsen bath, bar, free WIFI internet and relaxing social areas where you can get to know the group and enjoy a drink before heading off to dinner at one of our favorite nearby local restaurants.