Hakuba Backcountry Powder Skiing + Splitboarding Lift Assisted Touring Adventure – Japan
Welcome to the ultimate guided Hakuba backcountry tours for advanced to expert skiers and snowboarders. Backcountry skiing in Hakuba Japan should be on every serious rider’s trip list. The stunning Japanese Alps and the Hakuba Valley is your home base to some of the best ski and snowboard terrain in all of Japan. Our fully hosted, small group guided ski adventure in Hakuba blends lift accessed off-piste freeriding, outstanding tree skiing, and backcountry ski touring + splitboarding led by our Association of Canadian Mountain Guide and Japanese-speaking ski guide. The 9-day hosted trip is balanced out with soul-satisfying, off-slope activities. Based out of our comfortable Hakuba hotel puts us within walking distance to explore the bustling Hakuba village, dine on traditional cuisine every evening and take a soak in a local volcanic hot spring.
- 2 certified guides host your trip on and off the mountain focused on culture, hosted dinners and a completely flexible itinerary based around best snow conditions
- Hakuba Japan seeped into skiers’ consciousness following the town’s hosting of the 1998 Olympics, but now it is considered one of the world’s greatest ski destinations, receiving an abundance of more than 35 feet of snowfall annually and with access to a staggering 11 ski resorts.
- The Hakuba Valley is known for mind-blowing backcountry touring, incredible tree skiing, and as home to Japan’s steepest resorts and off-piste terrain
- A trip to Japan wouldn’t be complete without experiencing the beautiful local culture- our guide not only speaks Japanese but lives in the Hakuba Valley year round and will proudly introduce you a unique side of Hakuba
- Extend your trip in Japan with assistance from our friendly local Japanese travel agency
- Arrive to Hakuba and check-in to Hakuba Yamano Hotel
- 6:00pm group and guides meet-and-greet
- Hosted welcome dinner
- Daily group breakfast buffet at our hotel
- 7 days of off-piste and Hakuba backcountry tours based around best conditions in Hakuba and more secret Japanese Alps gems. Including but not limited to: Goryu, Hakuba47, Happo-one, Iwatake, Tsugaike Kogen, Norikura, and Cortina.
- Relax in muscle soothing onsens
- Hosted group dinners in our favorite select Hakuba Valley restaurants
- After breakfast at the hotel it's Sayonara (farewell) to the guides and new friends
- Return to airport, Tokyo or extend your stay in beautiful Japan with help from our local agent
Is This Trip For Me?
Advanced snowboarders and skiers keen on the steeper terrain of Hakuba accessed via a combo of ski lifts and backcountry touring will love this trip. the Hakuba Backcountry Tours are geared toward adventurers who are willing and able to earn their turns. Expect deep powder snow, steep tree runs, alpine spines and bowls and uphill skinning to access the goods when we leave the resorts. Make sure our Backcountry tours are for you via the Trip Finder Quiz
- 2 full-time, certified, PowderQuest guides (Japanese and English speaking)
- lift tickets
- private 4x4 van
- comfortable hotel, private bath (hotel rooms in Japan are generally smaller in comparison to North American lodging.)
- daily breakfast
- all dinners, hosted by your guides at select Hakuba restaurants
- beer and sake at dinner
- travel insurance
- arrival and departure to/from Hakuba. See Logistics tab for instructions.
View or download the packing list
- Option 1: We can pre-book transportation for you. Contact us to get started.
- Option 2: Book directly online. Updated details will be published here shortly.
After a stellar day of backcountry skiing in Hakuba return home to our comfortable onsen hotel with western style bedding, private bathrooms. Hearty breakfasts, WIFI, muscle soothing hot spring spa, free afternoon coffee/tea and a friendly family owned atmosphere.
Book Trip Now
Nearly all inclusive. Expert guides. Legendary Hakuba backcountry. Reserve a spot today.
Pricing Details at a Glance: (in USD)
- $4399 per person, based on twin or double share occupancy, private bath
- Solo Travelers: Will be paired with another same gender guest in a twin share room
- Privacy Please: Ask about our limited number of single rooms available for a $895 upgrade
- Payment: A $600 deposit is required at time of reservation. Final payments 90 days before trip departure