Hakuba Backcountry Powder Tour
Welcome to the ultimate guided Hakuba backcountry tour. The stunning Japanese Alps and the Hakuba Valley is your base for the next 9 days and home to some of the best ski and snowboard terrain in all of Japan.
Our fully hosted, small group guided adventure blends lift accessed off-piste freeriding, outstanding tree skiing, and backcountry ski touring led by our Association of Canadian Mountain Guide and Japanese-speaking tail guide. Hakuba seeped into skiers’ consciousness following the town’s hosting of the 1998 Olympics, but now it is considered one of the world’s greatest ski destinations, receiving an abundance of more than 35 feet of snowfall annually and with access to a staggering 11 resorts within a short drive.
The Hakuba region is also known for mind-blowing backcountry terrain, incredible tree skiing, and as home to Japan’s steepest runs. We’ll get you to the goods with our fully flexible, powder-chasing backcountry adventure that allows for us to choose our destination daily based on snow conditions. The trip is balanced out with soul-satisfying, off-slope activities following a long day riding and skiing.
We will be based out of a comfortable hotel that puts us within walking distance to explore the Hakuba village, dine on traditional cuisine every evening, take a soak in a local volcanic hot spring, and enjoy the region’s sake and beer.
Airport: Fly into either Narita (NRT) or Haneda (HND) Tokyo Airports.
Pick-up Location: Hakuba
Pick-up Time: 6:00pm meet guides
Trip ends at our Hakuba hotel after breakfast on day 9.
Return to airport, Tokyo or extend your stay in beautiful Japan!
- Group and guides meet-and-greet
- Hosted welcome dinner
- Daily group breakfast
- 7 days of off-piste and backcountry exploring based around best conditions in Hakuba and more secret Japanese Alps gems. Including but not limited to: Goryu, Hakuba47, Happo-one, Iwatake, Tsugaike Kogen, Norikura, and Cortina.
- Relax in muscle soothing onsens
- Hosted group dinners in our favorite select Hakuba Valley restaurants
- After breakfast at the hotel it's Sayonara (farewell) to the guides and new friends
Is This Trip For Me?
Advanced snowboarders and skiers keen on the steeper terrain of Hakuba accessed via a combo of ski lifts and backcountry touring gear will love this trip. Geared toward adventurers who are willing and able to earn their turns, even if you’ve never toured before. Expect deep powder snow, steep tree runs, alpine spines and bowls and uphill skinning to access the goods when we leave the resorts. Make sure our Backcountry tours are for you via the Trip Finder Quiz
- 2 full-time, certified, PowderQuest guides
- lift tickets
- private 4x4 van
- comfortable hotel, private bath
- daily breakfast
- all dinners, hosted by your guides at select Hakuba restaurants
- beer and sake at dinner
- travel insurance
- arrival and departure to/from Hakuba. Contact us if you need assistance.
- snacks and lunches
- gratuities to your PowderQuest guides
Comfortable onsen hotel with deluxe bedding and private bathrooms. Rooms typically come with twins, but double beds for couples or single upgrades can be arranged. It is important to note that hotel rooms in Japan are smaller in comparison to North American hotels.
Book Trip Now
Nearly all inclusive. Expert guides. Legendary terrain of Hakuba. Reserve a spot today. Pricing Details at a Glance: (in USD)
- $4499 per person, based on twin or double share occupancy, private bath
- Solo Travelers: Will be paired with another same gender guest in a twin share room
- Privacy Please: Ask about our limited number of single rooms available for a $TBD upgrade
- Payment: A $600 deposit is required at time of reservation. Final payments 90 days before trip departure