9 Days / From $3999 / Call: 1-888-565-7158
Group size: 8 maximum. Single travelers welcome!
Reserve This Trip
A true powder exploring, lift assisted backcountry touring adventure based out of two strategic zones in Hokkaido; the beautiful port city of Otaru and the agriculturally rich town of Furano. Ride up to 8 ski areas combining the classic tree covered powder laps of Hokkaido’s resorts and remote backcountry touring zones lead by PowderQuest’s ACMG/ AAMG guides. Each days itinerary is flexible allowing us to select the best destination in the area based around current snow conditions. After all, we are here for the island’s legendary powder.
We start with a taste of the beautiful west coast mountain terrain and deep powder near Sapporo. Explore the trees before touring out of Teine, and Sapporo Kokusai to untouched powder bowls. Refuel each night with delicious Japanese dishes at our guides favorite local restaurants. Feel like sampling the local beers or sake? That’s all included with your trip.
After three full days of adventure at Otaru’s nearby powder meccas, we head East, stopping at another select destination for more “Japow”. After skiing we road trip through Sapporo to the town of Furano and check in to our 4-star hotel for the next 4 nights. Catch up on a good nights rest before more powder chasing over the next several days with an open itinerary around the resorts and backcountry zones of Furano, Tomamu, Kamui, Sahorro, Asahidake and more.
Day 1: Afternoon group meeting at Chitose airport, travel to Otaru in our private van, hotel check-in, meet your guides, welcome/trip intro, dinner hosted by your guides.
Day 2-8: 7 days of exploring some of our favorite destinations in Hokkaido. Soak in the hot springs. Hosted dinners each evening.
Day 9: Departure to Chitose airport
- Experience 2 of Hokkaido’s most unique cultural centers, Otaru and Furano.
- 8 guests maximum per trip.
- 2 certified guides on every trip. Lead ski guides are certified by the Association of Canadian Mountain Guides (ACMG), or the Argentine Mountain Guide Association (AAGM).
- All trip logistics are handled once you arrive to Hokkaido.
- Mystical Japanese culture and landscapes.
- Ski and snowboard the best Hokkaido ski resorts, off-piste, and backcountry touring terrain with professional guides that know where to go.
- Soak in soothing onsens, an important part of the Japanese culture.
- Fantastic dinners and local beer, sake in our favorite local restaurants.
Enjoy your vacation with a buffet of all you eat japow, culture and exploring. We take care of the rest!
- Certified ski guides with full time hosting
- Avalanche safety introduction/refresher
- Off piste and Backcountry guiding
- Lift tickets
- Comfortable 4 star lodging, private bath
- Delicious breakfasts and dinners
- Choice of beer, sake or Hokkaido wine at dinner
- Private transportation in our 4×4 van
You are responsible for your inbound and outbound flights (our agents can assist you), required travel insurance and lunches.
We have rental equipment available for anything you need below. Please let us know well in advance.
- Backcountry touring skis or splitboard.
- Touring skins
- Backpack (24-36 liter) with external harness straps for carrying skis or board and helmet while hiking.
- Digital avalanche transceiver
- Avalanche snow shovel
- Avalanche probe
- Collapsible trekking poles for splitboarders
Booking This Trip
$3999 per person, based on twin or double share occupancy, private bath.
Solo travelers will be paired with another guest in a twin share room, private bath, or if you prefer more privacy, we have a few single rooms available for a $895 upgrade.
- A 30% deposit is required at time of reservation. Final payments are due 60 days before trip departure.
- If we have less than 5 guests sign up, the trip will have one guide.
- When booking your trip you agree to our Terms and Conditions detailing our cancellation policy.
- After receiving your deposit you will be directed to an online link to sign our Trip Release Waiver. View waiver
Or call 1-888-565-7158 or contact us via email to book with our office staff.
Arriving and Departing- Airport Details
Please book your flights in and out of the Chitose Airport (code CTS) in Sapporo. Most flights to CTS connect via Tokyo’s 2 main airports; Haneda and Narita. If you plan on arriving on Day 1 of the tour, please arrive to CTS no later than 3:00 PM so you can board our 4:00 PM shuttle to Otaru where you will meet the guides.
If you cannot arrive by 4:00 PM, we suggest arriving the day before and staying at a hotel in Chitose. This helps you break up the trip, get some extra rest and the next day you will meet our private from CTS to our hotel in Otaru. Booking.com is the easiest way to book a room for the night.
Meeting the guides and group on Day 1
The tour begins meeting the guides the evening of Day 1 at our hotel in the city of Otaru, where we will have our welcome chat and dinner. Details on meeting place and time will be sent to you before the tour.
Travel Visas and Passports
Visas are not required for USA, Canada, UK, EU, NZ, or Australian passport holders entering Japan for less than 90 days for tourism. If you are not on a passport from one of these countries please be sure to check if a visa is required.
Required Travel Insurance
Personal travel insurance that includes emergency evacuation coverage for off-piste and backcountry skiing and snowboarding is mandatory to travel with PowderQuest. Click for details
- Alpine Touring ski set up (We suggest a waist width between 110-120mm)
- Alpine touring bindings
- Climbing skins (Adhesive glue type)
- Ski poles
- Splitboard with climbing skins
- Extra binding screws and straps are a good idea
- Collapsible trekking poles. Black Diamond poles are highly suggested.
- Digital avalanche transceiver, shovel and probe (Rentals available)
- Boots (good idea to carry on plane if you can)
- 28-35 liter backpack with suitable external harness straps for carrying your skis or snowboard. Please test before the trip as this is essential!
- Water bottle to fit in your backpack (we prefer BPA Free aluminum or stainless steel water bottles as hydration bladder style systems tend to freeze)
- Portable tool kit for loose binding parts
- Padded ski or board bag. (Da Kine makes good ones that leave enough room for the rest of your gear)
- Polypropylene or Merino wool long underwear and wool blend socks
- Smartwool, prima-loft jacket or vest
- Down or synthetic puffy jacket
- Warm stocking hat (Beanie or Toque)
- Neck gaiter and face mask
- Wind/waterproof shell with hood (Goretex is recommended)
- Pants or bibs (Goretex is recommended)
- Cold weather gloves or mitts (Da Kine)
- Thin windblocker type glove for hiking and touring
- Sunglasses and ski goggles including a low light lens (Smith is our favorite). Do yourself a favor and upgrade your goggles NOW if they are highly scratched or are a lower quality goggle.
- Sun block (35 SPF or higher) and lip balm
Personal first aid kit to include at least the following:
- ibuprofin or similar for headaches, aches, etc
- Moleskin and band-aids
- Light weight toilet articles
- Prescription medicine
- Personal items for women
- Large plastic garbage bag for wet clothes
- Ear plugs for light sleepers
AND OF COURSE…
- Airline tickets
- Credit card, ATM card, and credit card cancellation phone number
- Starting cash in YEN
- Small travel clock alarm for those early powder days!
- Portable music and headphones
- Converter and plug adapters
- Energy bars
- Simple house slippers for the hotel
We have upgraded accommodations for 2018. PowderQuest has selected comfortable, 4 star hotels in Otaru and Furano. Each room has comfortable bedding and private bath. Rooms are twin shared, but we do have options for double beds for couples and those with a single room upgrade. Most of our hotels have an onsen (Japanese style public hot baths), free WIFI internet and relaxing social areas and bars where you can enjoy a drink before heading to eat at one of our favorite nearby local restaurants with your guides.