Hokkaido Backcountry Interior Powder Chaser
Home to quite possibly the driest powder on the planet, Hokkaido’s consistent snowfall is what has put snowboarding and skiing in Japan on the map for most powder hounds. You’ll get to experience it all with our fully hosted 8-day tour, the perfect mix of lift-accessed freeriding plus Hokkaido backcountry ski touring / splitboarding lead by our team of certified ACMG and AAGM ski guides.
The itinerary with 6 full days of skiing is completely flexible around the best snow conditions, allowing us to explore several top Japanese ski areas. The tour is based around the village Furano, where we spend each evening. Our location gives us close access to resorts such as Furano, Tomamu, Kamui, Sahoro, and the highest mountain in Hokkaido, Asahidake, all located within 5 to 75 minutes from our hotel.
Each day, our expert guides review weather and snow conditions and choose the best destination accordingly. Our goal is to get you to the lesser-known powder zones and to explore terrain you would most likely not find on your own, and to provide you with a true Hokkaido backcountry ski and snowboard experience.
Top all of this off with exposure to Japanese local culture, après ski soaking in the country’s famous volcanic hot springs, dining on traditional cuisine, and sampling local sake and beer.
Airport: New Chitose Airport (CTS)
Pick-up Location: Chitose Airport
Pick-up Time: 2:00pm (contact us for other pick up options)
Airport: New Chitose Airport (CTS)
Drop-off Location: New Chitose Airport
Drop-off Time: Based around flight time. Starting at 10:30am.
- Fly into Chitose airport (CTS) ideally by 12:30pm
- Coach shuttle to Furano hotel. Check in
- Group and guides meet-and-greet
- Hosted welcome dinner
- Daily group breakfast
- 6 days of backcountry and off-piste exploring based around best conditions in Furano, Tomamu, Kamui, Sahorro, Ashahidake and more secret central Hokkaido destinations.
- Relax in muscle soothing onsens
- Hosted group dinners in our favorite select Furano restaurants
- Farewell to the guides
- Shuttle to Chitose airport (2.5 hrs travel time)
- Please schedule return flights out of Chitose after 12:00pm (for domestic) or 1:00pm (international)
- For departure flights before noon we can schedule a private service
Is This Trip For Me?
Advanced skiers and snowboarders looking to get deep into legendary Hokkaido backcountry powder looking to use a combo of ski lifts and backcountry touring equipment will love this tour. This resort accessed backcountry tour is geared toward skiers and snowboarders who are willing and able to earn their turns, even if you’ve never toured before. You will want to be in good physical shape and keen on adventure. Expect deep powder, tight but fun trees and some uphill skinning to access the goods.
Make sure our Backcountry tours are for you via the Trip Finder Quiz
- 2 full-time, certified, PowderQuest backcountry guides
- all lift tickets
- private 4x4 van
- Chitose airport pick up and drop off coach shuttles
- comfortable hotel, private bath. (Japanese rooms are generally smaller in comparison to North American lodging.)
- daily breakfast at the hotel
- all dinners, hosted by your guides at the best Furano restaurants
- beer and sake at dinner
- travel insurance
PowderQuest has reviewed and hand-picked a mix of comfortable, 4-star hotels in Furano. All hotels feature similar décor and amenities, such as cozy bedding, private bathrooms, a spa with a Japanese onsen bath.
Book Trip Now
Expert guided and hosted. Nearly all inclusive. Legendary Hokkaido powder. Reserve a spot today.
Pricing Details at a Glance: (in USD)
- $3999 per person, based on twin or double share occupancy, private bath
- Solo Travelers: Will be paired with another same gender guest in a twin share room
- Privacy Please: Ask about our limited number of single rooms available for a $TBD upgrade
- Payment: A $600 deposit is required at time of reservation. Final payments 90 days before trip departure