9 Days / From $3999 / Call: 1-888-565-7158
Group size: 8 maximum. Solo travelers welcome!
No longer available for 2019. Check out the similar Samurai Powder Explorer
Contact us for custom dates if you have a group.
Reserve This Trip
A fully hosted adventure chasing the best snow in central Hokkaido with the perfect mix of lift accessed freeriding plus backcountry ski touring lead by our team of certified ACMG and AAGM ski guides. With a season average of 30 feet of snow, there are plenty of options to get us to the famous deep and dry powder of the Hokkaido interior on this fully flexible powder chasing itinerary.
We are not locked into a daily schedule like many guided trips and we focus on getting to the best conditions and explore several top Japanese ski areas, in and out of bounds. Your two PowderQuest guides review the weather patterns and snow conditions to select our best daily destination.
Some amazing snow and tree skiing is often just a few minutes from our cozy 4 star hotel in Furano, however we will mix it up and explore other uncrowded zones within a 60 minutes drive such as Tomamu, Kamui, Sahoro, and the highest mountain in Hokkaido; Asahidake.
We top it all off with Japanese culture, optional visits to muscle soothing volcanic hot springs, and outstanding locally sourced dinners, accompanied with your choice of Hokkaido beer or sake.
Day 1: Arrive to Furano in the afternoon via shuttle from Sapporo Chitose airport (airport code CTS), hotel check-in, welcome/trip intro, dinner on the town with your guides. We will be based in Furano for the next 8 nights.
Day 2-8: 7 days of lift assisted powder laps and ski touring chasing the best snow in Central Hokkaido. Hosted dinners each evening with your guides.
Day 9: Departure day to Chitose airport in Sapporo.
- 8 guests maximum per trip.
- 2 certified guides on every trip. Lead ski guides are certified by the Association of Canadian Mountain Guides (ACMG), or the Argentine Mountain Guide Association (AAGM).
- All trip logistics are handled once you arrive to Hokkaido.
- Mystical Japanese culture and landscapes.
- Ski and snowboard the best Hokkaido ski resorts, off-piste, and backcountry touring terrain with professional guides that know where to go.
- Soak in soothing onsens, an important part of the Japanese culture.
- Fantastic dinners and local beer, sake, or red wine in our favorite local restaurants.
Enjoy your vacation with a buffet of all you eat powder, adventure and brilliant culture. We take care of the rest!
- Certified ski guides with full time hosting
- Avalanche safety introduction/refresher
- Off piste and Backcountry guiding
- Lift tickets
- Comfortable 4 star lodging, private bath
- Delicious breakfasts and dinners
- Choice of beer, sake at dinner
- Private transportation in our 4×4 van
- Round trip chartered shuttle Airport-Furano Hotel-Airport
You are responsible for your inbound and outbound flights (our agents can assist you), required travel insurance and lunches.
We have rental equipment available for anything you need below. Please let us know well in advance.
- Backcountry touring skis or splitboard.
- Touring skins
- Backpack (24-36 liter) with external harness straps for carrying skis or board and helmet while hiking.
- Digital avalanche transceiver
- Avalanche snow shovel
- Avalanche probe
- Collapsible trekking poles for splitboarders
Booking This Trip
$3999 per person, based on twin or double share occupancy, private bath.
Solo travelers will be paired with another guest in a twin share room, private bath, or if you prefer more privacy, we have a few single rooms available for a $650 upgrade.
- A 30% deposit is required at time of reservation. Final payments are due 60 days before trip departure.
- If we have less than 5 guests sign up, the trip will have one guide.
- When booking your trip you agree to our Terms and Conditions detailing our cancellation policy.
- After receiving your deposit you will be directed to an online link to sign our Trip Release Waiver. View waiver
Or call 1-888-565-7158 or contact us via email to book with our office staff.
Arriving and Departing- Airport Details
Please book your flights in and out of the Sapporo Chitose Airport (code CTS). Most flights to CTS connect via Tokyo’s 2 main airports; Haneda and Narita. If you plan on arriving on Day 1 of the tour, please arrive to CTS no later than 12:30 PM so you can board the 2:00 PM shuttle to our Furano hotel.
If you cannot arrive by 12:30 PM, there are later shuttle options to Furano, but you may miss our important group welcome meet up and dinner. If arriving by 12:30 is not possible see the other shuttle options below, however we suggest arriving the day before and staying at a hotel in Chitose or at the airport. This helps you break up the trip, get some extra rest and the next day you will meet your reserved shuttle from CTS to Furano. Booking.com is the easiest way to book a room for the night.
Please note that the coach transfer to Furano is only available for domestic flights that land anytime before 1710 and international flights that land anytime before 1635. On departure the coach will get you to the airport in time for any domestic flight departing from 1200 and any international flight departing after 1305.
You may be liable for private transfer costs if you book flights outside of these times.
Meeting the guides and group on Day 1
The tour begins meeting the guides the evening of Day 1 at our hotel in the town of Furano, where we will have our welcome chat and dinner. Details on meeting place and time will be sent to you before the tour.
Travel Visas and Passports
Visas are not required for USA, Canada, UK, EU, NZ, or Australian passport holders entering Japan for less than 90 days for tourism. If you are not on a passport from one of these countries please be sure to check if a visa is required.
Required Travel Insurance
Personal travel insurance that includes emergency evacuation coverage for off-piste and backcountry skiing and snowboarding is mandatory to travel with PowderQuest. Click for details
- Alpine Touring ski set up (We suggest a waist width between 110-120mm)
- Alpine touring bindings
- Climbing skins (Adhesive glue type)
- Ski poles
- Splitboard with climbing skins
- Extra binding screws and straps are a good idea
- Collapsible trekking poles. Black Diamond poles are highly suggested.
- Digital avalanche transceiver, shovel and probe (Rentals available)
- Boots (good idea to carry on plane if you can)
- 28-35 liter backpack with suitable external harness straps for carrying your skis or snowboard. Please test before the trip as this is essential!
- Water bottle to fit in your backpack (we prefer BPA Free aluminum or stainless steel water bottles as hydration bladder style systems tend to freeze)
- Portable tool kit for loose binding parts
- Padded ski or board bag. (Da Kine makes good ones that leave enough room for the rest of your gear)
- Polypropylene or Merino wool long underwear and wool blend socks
- Smartwool, prima-loft jacket or vest
- Down or synthetic puffy jacket
- Warm hat (Beanie or Toque)
- Neck gaiter and face mask
- Wind/waterproof shell with hood (Goretex is recommended)
- Pants or bibs (Goretex is recommended)
- Cold weather gloves or mitts (Da Kine)
- Thinner windblocker type glove for hiking and touring
- Sunglasses and ski goggles including a low light lens (Smith is our favorite). Do yourself a favor and upgrade your goggles NOW if they are highly scratched or are a lower quality goggle.
- Sun block (35 SPF or higher) and lip balm
Personal first aid kit to include at least the following:
- ibuprofin or similar for headaches, aches, etc
- Moleskin and band-aids
- Light weight toilet articles
- Prescription medicine
- Personal items for women
- Large plastic garbage bag for wet clothes
- Ear plugs for light sleepers
AND OF COURSE…
- Airline tickets
- Credit card, ATM card, and credit card cancellation phone number
- Starting cash in YEN
- Small travel clock alarm for those early powder days!
- Portable music and headphones
- Converter and plug adapters
- Energy bars
- Simple house slippers for the hotel
We have upgraded our hotels for 2018. PowderQuest has hand selected a mix of comfortable, 4 star hotels in Furano. Each room has cozy bedding with private bathrooms. Rooms are twin shared, but we do have a few options for larger double beds for couples or those requesting a single room upgrade. The hotels have a spa, Japanese style bath or onsen, bar, free WIFI internet and relaxing social areas where you can get to know the group and enjoy a drink before heading off to dinner at one of our favorite nearby local restaurants.